Are you about to head off on your first travel adventure? While you probably can’t sit still due to all the excitement, you’re probably also experiencing the pre-trip jitters. Don’t fear! WOW has put together the ultimate list of tips and tricks to help you get the very most out of your trip.
– Do your research and decide on your destination. Start pinning on Pinterest.
Related: The 15 Best Travel Destinations in 2015
– Determine your budget and start saving early.
Related: 50 Ways I Saved (a Lot) of Money to Travel the World
– Plan a flexible itinerary. Decide on the main things you will do, but be careful not to cram too much in.
– Purchase travel insurance. You might regret it otherwise.
Related: When Things Go Wrong: Why You Need Travel Insurance
– Research local customs so you’re prepared for when you arrive.
– See your doctor to discuss your travel plans and find out whether you need any vaccinations.
Related: What to Do When You’re Sick Overseas
– Advise your banks you will be traveling internationally to avoid your cards being cancelled when foreign transactions appear.
– Print several copies of your itinerary and leave one with your parents and a good friend.
– Make a list. It will help you feel organised and ensure you won’t forget anything important.
Related: 7 Packing Tips You Must Read Before You Travel
– The most important item you can bring is a pair of comfortable shoes.
– Tie a ribbon or colourful luggage tag onto your bag to help you recognise it on the luggage carousel. You’ll be surprised by how many bags look the same!
– When in doubt, don’t pack it.
Related: Travel Packing Hacks – The Ultimate “How to Pack Your Bags Better” Post
– Prescription medication should be clearly labelled and you should carry a doctor’s note if possible.
– Pack a good book for those long flights.
– Pack a change of clothes, underwear, deodorant and toothpaste in your carry-on luggage. It will make you feel like a brand new person when you land.
Related: How to Pack Carry On Only
– Remember to pack an adaptor so you can use your electronics overseas.
– Only pack small bottles of shampoo and conditioner. You can buy it while you’re away and it will save weight and space.
– Do a packing practise run. This will help you judge whether you can fit everything into your suitcase!
Related: Packing Tips and Tricks for Travel
– Make photocopies of your essential documents such as your passport and itinerary and pack them in a different spot to the originals.
– Pack a small medical kit containing the essentials like band-aids, painkillers and antihistamines.
– Weigh your bags before you leave to ensure you haven’t exceeded your luggage weight limit.
– Sleep and eat on your destination’s time. This will help you beat jet lag.
Related: 10 Certain Ways to Beat Jet Lag
– Don’t drink alcohol during the flight. It will dehydrate you and you will feel worse after drinking it.
– Drink plenty of water.
Related: How to Survive Air Travel
– Move around the cabin regularly. This will help reduce swelling in your ankles and feet and increase circulation.
– Don’t worry if there is some turbulence. It’s normal.
Related: Afraid of Flying? 8 Great Tips for Nervous Flyers
– Pre-order the vegetarian option. You will feel a million times better.
– A neck pillow, eye mask and earplugs are your friends and will help you get some sleep.
Related: 8 Ways to Actually Sleep on a Plane
– Respect local customs. Remember that you are a guest in this country.
– Manners are universal. Politeness and a smile go a long way.
– Don’t judge things you see that are different to back home. Instead, think about how interesting they are.
– Learn a few phrases in the local language.
Related: How to Say Thank You in 50 Languages
– Keep some of your money and cards in a separate place to the rest.
– Don’t be afraid to respectively say no.
– Go with your gut instinct. If something doesn’t feel right to you, don’t do it.
Related: Top 10 Tips to Travel Safe
– Be aware of your surroundings and conscious of where your valuables are.
– Be open and make friends with other travellers.
– Turn off international data roaming on your mobile phone to avoid a nasty bill when you return home.
– Eat the local food. It will be the best you’ll taste on your trip.
Related: 20 Foods Around the World You Must Eat Before You Die
– Be cautious about pickpockets and scams. Don’t put your wallet in your back pocket. That’s just asking for trouble.
– If you have a bad experience, don’t let it ruin your trip. Move on and be thankful for each day you have.
– Don’t be afraid to splurge if your heart is screaming yes! Don’t go home with any regrets.
– Be curious. Soak up as much of this new place and all of these new experiences as you can.
Related: The Ten Travel Commandments to Ensure You Enjoy Your Time Abroad
– Invest in a good camera. It will keep your travel memories clearer.
Related: Travel Photography: Everything You Need to Know
– Don’t take photos with your iPad. Just don’t.
– Get up early for the best light and fewest crowds.
Related: How to Take Better Travel Photos
– Be patient. Wait for that perfect moment to snap your photo.
– Look for a different take on famous landmarks.
Related: Travel Photography Tips: What to Look for When Taking Travel Photos
– Get off the beaten track. A shot full of tourists is never a good one.
– Learn how to use the manual settings on your camera before you depart.