Are you about to head off on your first travel adventure? While you probably can’t sit still due to all the excitement, you’re probably also experiencing the pre-trip jitters. Don’t fear! WOW has put together the ultimate list of tips and tricks to help you get the very most out of your trip.
50 Essential Tips for First-Time Travellers:
– Do your research and decide on your destination. Start pinning on Pinterest.
Related: The 15 Best Travel Destinations in 2015
– Determine your budget and start saving early.
Related: 50 Ways I Saved (a Lot) of Money to Travel the World
– Plan a flexible itinerary. Decide on the main things you will do, but be careful not to cram too much in.
– Purchase travel insurance. You might regret it otherwise.
Related: When Things Go Wrong: Why You Need Travel Insurance
– Research local customs so you’re prepared for when you arrive.
– See your doctor to discuss your travel plans and find out whether you need any vaccinations.
Related: What to Do When You’re Sick Overseas
– Advise your banks you will be traveling internationally to avoid your cards being cancelled when foreign transactions appear.
– Print several copies of your itinerary and leave one with your parents and a good friend.
– Make a list. It will help you feel organised and ensure you won’t forget anything important.
Related: 7 Packing Tips You Must Read Before You Travel
– The most important item you can bring is a pair of comfortable shoes.
– Tie a ribbon or colourful luggage tag onto your bag to help you recognise it on the luggage carousel. You’ll be surprised by how many bags look the same!
– When in doubt, don’t pack it.
Related: Travel Packing Hacks – The Ultimate “How to Pack Your Bags Better” Post
– Prescription medication should be clearly labelled and you should carry a doctor’s note if possible.
– Pack a good book for those long flights.
– Pack a change of clothes, underwear, deodorant and toothpaste in your carry-on luggage. It will make you feel like a brand new person when you land.
Related: How to Pack Carry On Only
– Remember to pack an adaptor so you can use your electronics overseas.
– Only pack small bottles of shampoo and conditioner. You can buy it while you’re away and it will save weight and space.
– Do a packing practise run. This will help you judge whether you can fit everything into your suitcase!
Related: Packing Tips and Tricks for Travel
– Make photocopies of your essential documents such as your passport and itinerary and pack them in a different spot to the originals.
– Pack a small medical kit containing the essentials like band-aids, painkillers and antihistamines.
– Weigh your bags before you leave to ensure you haven’t exceeded your luggage weight limit.
– Sleep and eat on your destination’s time. This will help you beat jet lag.
Related: 10 Certain Ways to Beat Jet Lag
– Don’t drink alcohol during the flight. It will dehydrate you and you will feel worse after drinking it.
– Drink plenty of water.
Related: How to Survive Air Travel
– Move around the cabin regularly. This will help reduce swelling in your ankles and feet and increase circulation.
– Don’t worry if there is some turbulence. It’s normal.
Related: Afraid of Flying? 8 Great Tips for Nervous Flyers
– Pre-order the vegetarian option. You will feel a million times better.
– A neck pillow, eye mask and earplugs are your friends and will help you get some sleep.
Related: 8 Ways to Actually Sleep on a Plane
AT YOUR DESTINATION
– Respect local customs. Remember that you are a guest in this country.
– Manners are universal. Politeness and a smile go a long way.
– Don’t judge things you see that are different to back home. Instead, think about how interesting they are.
– Learn a few phrases in the local language.
Related: How to Say Thank You in 50 Languages
– Keep some of your money and cards in a separate place to the rest.
– Don’t be afraid to respectively say no.
– Go with your gut instinct. If something doesn’t feel right to you, don’t do it.
Related: Top 10 Tips to Travel Safe
– Be aware of your surroundings and conscious of where your valuables are.
– Be open and make friends with other travellers.
– Turn off international data roaming on your mobile phone to avoid a nasty bill when you return home.
– Eat the local food. It will be the best you’ll taste on your trip.
Related: 20 Foods Around the World You Must Eat Before You Die
– Be cautious about pickpockets and scams. Don’t put your wallet in your back pocket. That’s just asking for trouble.
– If you have a bad experience, don’t let it ruin your trip. Move on and be thankful for each day you have.
– Don’t be afraid to splurge if your heart is screaming yes! Don’t go home with any regrets.
– Be curious. Soak up as much of this new place and all of these new experiences as you can.
Related: The Ten Travel Commandments to Ensure You Enjoy Your Time Abroad
– Invest in a good camera. It will keep your travel memories clearer.
Related: Travel Photography: Everything You Need to Know
– Don’t take photos with your iPad. Just don’t.
– Get up early for the best light and fewest crowds.
Related: How to Take Better Travel Photos
– Be patient. Wait for that perfect moment to snap your photo.
– Look for a different take on famous landmarks.
Related: Travel Photography Tips: What to Look for When Taking Travel Photos
– Get off the beaten track. A shot full of tourists is never a good one.
– Learn how to use the manual settings on your camera before you depart.